Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Just Do It - Not just for shoes anymore.

This past Wednesday I was speaking to one of my colleagues at the Intermediate School and somehow we got on the discussion of procrastinating on projects and other things (like exercising). He said to me, "you know what Chris, I have a friend and he says to himself when he thinks of something that needs to be done, 'Just do it' and attacks whatever it is with a vengeance right then." We went on discussing how busy we are and how it just slides to the back burner and created a couple excuses for ourselves...you know, things like family, job, being tired. The thought stuck with me all day though and by the time I got home from work (and felt more tired than usual) I was standing in the kitchen after dinner looking at 3 or 4 "projects" that have been sitting for at least a month if not more. I stood there for a while looking at each thing and waged a war in my head. All I wanted to do was sit down but instead I said, "just do it." I started with the most intense project and worked my way down. Within an hour I had taken care of stuff that I had built in my head to be days worth of work. I felt relaxed and it felt amazing. It was almost like a drug.

Over the past couple days since "the incident" I have come home every day and tried to do at least one little thing that needs to be done eventually. It has put my mind at ease and I feel accomplished instead of feeling like a lump of fecal matter. I think that overall we don't see ourselves as a disappointment, but feel a little disappointed in ourselves when we let whatever it is, sit. We will let it slide, but somewhere in our minds it's taking a toll. We don't always realize it, or can't put our finger on why we feel something, but I think we do feel it.

So today, try to "just do it" with one little thing and tell someone what you did. You may find it gets contagious to you and your friends.

On a side note, I told my colleague the next day what happened and he decided that that evening was his night to get on the "Just do it" train. Good for him.

Talk to you all soon,
Chris (the recently accomplished)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having this attitude...God knows that if these "projects" were left to me, they would never get done!
    I love you...

    ReplyDelete