My plan down in the basement was to build a really great entertainment area as part of the main wall. I built a custom cabinet that sits behind the wall. so the A/V unites are actually sitting inside the wall instead of on a shelving unit taking up room on the floor. Once it's completed it's going to be really great. The spot where the shelving unit meets the drywall had a pretty large gap which i figured would happen. I patched the gap and sanded it when the basement was finished but it never painted the area. The twins moved in downstairs and it sat for 2 1/2 years. I finally painted it this past week and it looks great. I had to create a line between the black shelf and the green wall and wanted it to look like the shelving was perfectly in line with the wall. I used masking tape and tape measure to make sure it was straight. It turned out really nice. I can't wait to get some major electronics in this room.
Time: 20 minutes
Cost: Nothing (touchup paint is extra from big projects)
Last weekend M and I did a large overhaul of Avery and Lillian's bedroom. We are moving towards a transition of Lillian into her own room but the first phase was getting her out of her crib. We transferred Lillian to her big girl bed (Avery's old bed) and built the bottom part of the bunk for Avery which is a full sized bed. The bunk bed was purchased several months ago on Craig's list at a really good deal but I knew it was going to need some screw tightening and refinishing to get it up to daddy standards for my little girl. We rearranged the bedroom and did a huge cleanup of toys and stuff. I really like the new room setup and the girls are really excited. Eventually I will build the top bunk and set it up but we are currently waiting on some parts to be mailed from the manufacturer. Maybe in a week or so (pictures to come as soon as it is built).
Difficulty: Easy/Medium (Bed building/repair, wall paint/hole touch up) Cost: $100 for the bunk bed and $36 in parts. Time: 6 to 8 hours.