Saturday, December 27, 2008

The end of an era.

I walk on stage and sit down behind my drumset. It's a beautiful woodgrain green color that reflects the multiple colored lights shining down from the top of the stage. A drumkit I bought a few years back to replace my expensive Yamaha Maple Custom drumset I was using at first with the "angry band" as my wife calles it. The final straw in buying the green kit was when one evening at a show a fairly drunk mo'hawk wearing young man jumped onto the stage and accidentally kicked my bassdrum as he leapt back into the crowd. The next day I went out to buy something that I wouldn't care if it took a kick or had some beer spilled on it. Back to the show...I can taste the smoke bellowing from the audience, I see a huge sea of faces and I look over at my good friend Sam wearing his 8 string bass and give him a smile saying, "this night is going to rock." I see the wild and erratic hair of my lead singer Ian bobbing as he screams his gritty profanity into his wireless mic. To my right out of a cloud of smoke walks Mitch wearing his cut off t-shirt and jeans and a cigarette hanging out of the corner of his mouth. The four of us are ready to slap the crowd with our music Ian has appropriately labeled, "Circuis Monkey Metal Music." Most say that Thieves' Cant. reminds them of System Of A Down. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't in my opinion. As I play my 50 minute set sweat pours down me as I play till my arms feel like jello and I destroy another set of sticks. I always find that I wake up the next morning blistered, bruised, and sore like I had ran a marathon, usually complaining that I'm too old for this. I always put everything I had into a show. That is the way it's got to be if you want the crowd to believe in what you are selling. I have watched Ian bleed for his art. He is a true showman and such a unique frontman in my opinion. It was no less for Mitch or Sam. Our sound was always bold, loud, distorted, and fun. I liked the songs of Thieves' Cant...if I didn't, I wouldn't have joined the band in the first place. I had my out, I was only a sub for them while they were trying to find another drummer. By the first show I was hooked and told them, "don't worry about finding someone else, I'm in."

So, 5 years and 8 months later I have taken my official leave from the band. The Captain has hung up his drumsticks and is calling it a rap. Sam decided it was time for him to move to Florida and I figured that this was the time for me to bow out. I have had alot of fun playing with these guys but my life has changed drastically since my start with the Cant. I have since married my beautiful wife Michele and soon after that we had my now 2 yr old daughter Avery. It is time that my time is for my family. I have also started to experience some hearing damage and found that it would take close to 3 weeks after a show for me to not notice the ringing in my ears (and that was wearing ear plugs). Fortunately my band mates were more than understanding about my departure and I am glad to know they have since hired a new bass player and drummer. I can't wait to see them in action. As far as I'm concerned, some of my showes with Thieves' Cant. brought me as close as I will ever know to being a "rock star." I am honored to have been a part of that era of TC. I know that I will miss playing with them but this is what is best for me and my family.

Just thought that you all would be interested to hear this info.
There is some news on the Bookie front.

Talk to you all soon,
Books

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you decided to leave for the right reasons! You had a good run with them... and I agree, Thieves did sound a little bit like System of a Down but you definitely had your own sound.

    ReplyDelete