Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Letter To My Daughter




January 21, 2009

My beautiful daughter,

Yesterday I witnessed history in the making. You were there also but you are only two years old and don't understand yet. As you sat on your moms lap watching, as she cried tears of pride you asked "what's wrong mommy", and the answer was nothing, absolutely nothing. Everything was right yesterday, the wave that was created by this rock in the pond will ripple forever throughout our American history and I hope effect ours, and our future generations lives. The inauguration of a black man as the 44th President of the United States Of America was a large step towards a world I could only hope accepts all. Yesterday I felt national pride in my heart that I don't know if I have ever felt. It wasn't the kind of pride that come out of tragedy in September eight years ago. It was natural, raw, uninhibited pride in the people of our nation, the kind that inspires people to do great things. The feeling that anything is possible. I wan't with all my heart for this man to live up to his words more than any president I have lived through. I hope that you and I in four or maybe even eight years look back at yesterday and say this was the start of a brand new day in American history. I have hope for our future and some day we will talk about yesterday and what it meant to me and what it has done for you.

I love you Avery,
Your Daddy

1 comment: